Tuesday, February 24, 2009

BLUE LIGHTS & SIRENS

Kayla's 1st and hopefully last run in with the police. A few weeks ago during my week to work (keep in mind I work night shift & I'm in bed asleep) Kayla sends me a text message, normally I hear them because I keep my cell phone nearby in case anyone needs me & it doubles as my alarm clock. I didn't hear the first one so a few minutes later she re sends it. It's a rare moment that I'm that out of it I don't hear my phone; since I neglected to respond she calls me. The phone call woke me up, she ask if she could stay after school with Haley & her parents would bring her home later. I found out the why & when and said yes but make sure you're home by 5:30-5:45 at the latest because Julien has a game tonight. I told her if you can't make it home by then get on the bus and come home now.

Four o'clock rolled around and Kayla didn't get off the bus, I knew she had stayed over so I went back to bed. At 4:30 my cell phone rings again & I know it's Kayla because I have a set ring tone for her. I answer the phone & Kayla is HYSTERICAL to the point of me not being able to understand her. All I got out of it was "Me & Haley were walking", I knew Kayla was ok because she was the one calling, my first thought was that Haley had been hit by a car & hurt really bad. Once I got her calmed down enough my first question was "Is everyone ok?". Kayla & Haley had walked to a restaurant near the school then from there they got in the back of a 16 year old girls pick up truck & rode to the park, less than a mile away.

In that short period of time the police pull them over & say that one of them had thrown out a piece of paper & wanted to know which of the four of them it was. He took all four of their names plus their parents names, numbers, & addresses. He told them they would each have to pay a fine of $500 for littering. Then decided community service would be better & told them he would be in contact with their parents. Three of the four girls were beside themselves, it didn't seem to phase the fourth.

It really scared me; I didn't like getting that phone call, especially when I'm asleep. It scared Kayla too. I haven't heard from the police. When she got home & I got the full non-hysterical version I told her I knew she was scared & it was a difficult experience for her but told her she was going to get punished at home as well & wanted HER to tell ME why. She said, "I don't know". I said, "Not good enough, tell me why". She said, "Because I never should have gotten into that truck to begin with". BINGO, she has been told time & time again not to get in the car with a 16/17 year old driver. Last time she did without my consent they were in an accident. What part of DON'T do it do they not understand?

With all that said, I really hope she learned a valuable lesson. She'll be fifteen next month & I really don't want to have another near heart failure experience anytime soon. I know this is just the beginning!

No comments: